MISSOURI ROUTE 66 POINTS OF INTEREST
“Traveling East to West Across Missouri”
Revised September 2004 By: Glenda Pike
- Chain of Rocks Bridge (1929) – Hampton Inn Roadside Attraction Sign, Closed to vehicle traffic – Open to foot traffic.
- FUN FAIR PARK (Also known as Chain of Rocks Amusement Park and Riverview Park) was located on a bluff high above the bridge.
- Additons by Carolyn Hasenfratz in 2010NORTH OF ST. LOUIS ACROSS MISSISSIPPI RIVER (Just South of I-270)
ST. LOUIS (Largest City On Route 66 Between Chicago and Los Angeles)
- GATEWAY ARCH (1965) (Jefferson National Expansion Memorial).
- EADS BRIDGE (1874) (World’s first steel-truss bridge).
- Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France (OLD CATHEDRAL) (1834)
- OLD COURTHOUSE (1864)
- MCKINLEY BRIDGE (1910).
- UNION STATION (1894) (Now retail shopping).
- CIVIL COURTS BUILDING (1930)
- CITY HALL (Constructed 1890-1904)
- ST. FRANCIS DE SALES CHURCH (1895) (On National Register of Historic Places)
- EAT RITE DINER (622 Chouteau Ave.) (Hampton Inn Roadside Attraction Sign)
- PURINA WORLD HEADQUARTERS
- ANHEUSER-BUSCH BREWERY (1885)
- MoPAC RAILROAD OVERPASS (1940) (On Chippewa) (With U-turn ramps and pedestrian walkway below)
- KELLER DRUGS (1934) (520 Chippewa)
- GARAVELLI’S RESTAURANT (6600 Chippewa) (Formerly Shangri-La)
- TED DREWES FROZEN CUSTARD (6726 Chippewa) (Hampton Inn Roadside Attraction Sign)
- OLD WOODEN FRISCO RAILROAD TRESTLE (1931) After crossing River Des Peres, Chippewa becomes Watson Road- ( Shrewsbury)
- SITE OF CORAL COURT At 7755 Watson Rd. (Marlborough) now a housing development.
- Site of old “66 PARK IN THEATER” (1946-1994) now National Food Store (Crestwood)
- WAYSIDE MOTEL (1930) (WATSON RD/ MO HWY 366)
- ALL ALONG WATSON ROAD was once the site of many vintage motels and businesses.
- FOREST PARK (Side Trip) (Zoo-1904, Jewel Box-1936, Art Museum-1904, Muny Opera-1919) (Site of 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition/St. Louis World’s Fair)
- MAGIC HOUSE, a children’s museum. (Housed in a mansion built in 1901 by the A. G. Edwards brokerage family.)
- SPENCER’S GRILL (1947)
- MISSOURI PACIFIC DEPOT (1893) Original depot built in 1851. (On National Register of Historic Places)
- POND INN “TAVERN” (1875) and POND HOTEL (c. 1840) (now a residence), both on the left
- “BIG CHIEF” DAKOTA STEAKHOUSE (1929) (Formerly Big Chief Cabin Hotel) (On National Register of Historic Places)
- ROUTE 66 STATE PARK (Times Beach), (Visitor’s Center and Museum was formerly Steiny’s Inn)
- MERAMEC RIVER BRIDGE (1931) (Now located in Route 66 State Park)
- SIX FLAGS OVER MID-AMERICA (Allenton)
- PACIFIC 66 LIQUOR SIGN (Now restored as “Route 66″ sign)
- RED CEDAR INN (1943) (On National Register of Historic Places) (Hampton Inn Roadside Attraction Sign)
- JENSEN’S POINT OVERLOOK
- HENRY SHAW NATURE CENTER (1940) (Includes Shaw Gardenway Bus Stop Building replaced from Allenton)
- Remnants of “New Diamond’s” Restaurant
- Gardenway Motel – West of Shaw Nature Center
- PURINA FARMS
- Tri-County Truck Stop – “Old Diamonds” Restaurant/Truck Stop
- MERAMEC CAVERNS (1935) (Side Trip)
- REPTILE RANCH (Side Trip)
- JESSE JAMES WAX MUSEUM
- ANTIQUE TOY MUSEUM
- “SUNNY” JIM BOTTOMLEY’S GRAVE in IOOF Cemetery on Church Street, 1 block north on Church Street. Jim played for the St. Louis Cardinals in the 1920′s and 30′s and holds the record he set in 1924 for 12 RBI’s in a single game.
- SHAMROCK COURT (Ozark hand cut stone) (On south side, no sign)
- MARTIN FAMILY CEMETERY, west of Sullivan. The burial plot is between Route 66 and I-44 surrounded by a concrete wall.
- WATER TOWER, Cross I-44 at MO J to see this landmark.
- Circle Inn Malt Shop, south side.
- ONONDAGA CAVE (Side trip)
- OLD OAK GROVE ROADSIDE PARK (now closed) northwest corner Route 66 and MO H.
- BLUE STAR MEMORIAL HIGHWAY MARKER just east and north of the Oak Grove Roadside Park on MO H placed by the Federated Garden Clubs of Missouri in cooperation with the Federated Garden Club of Leasburg and the MO Dept of Transportation.
- Skippy’s Restaurant and Bar
- City of Murals painted by local artists Shelly Smith-Steiger and Julie Balough
- Missouri Hick Bar-B-Que
- Wagon Wheel Motel (1934) (On National Register of Historic Places)
- Old Phillips 66 Service Station (1930′s) Southwest corner Franklin and Washington/Route 66.
- MIDWAY RESTAURANT & HOTEL, former site (1934) (Northeast corner Franklin and Washington/Route 66)
- ROUTE 66 CAFÉ (early 1950′s)
- Crawford County Historical Society (Side Trip, just north of Route 66 at 308 S. Smith St.)
- BOB’S GASOLINE ALLEY (north on Beamer Lane)
ROSATI (St. James)
- ROSATI WINERY
- Johnnie’s Bar (1929) (Formerly old Rose Cafe)
- SCENIC DIVIDED ROAD SECTION
- MISSOURI VETERANS HOME (1896)
- ROUTE 66 MOTORS & NOSTALGIA GIFT SHOP (Formerly Delano Thrifty Service/Strawhun Grocery and Filling Station, and Thrifty Inn)
- Mule Trading Post (1958) (Started in Pacific in 1948) and ROCK SHOP, across I-44 from Route 66.
- MEMORYVILLE, U.S.A., INC.
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI- ROLLA
- STONEHENGE, on campus of University of Missouri-Rolla.
- PHELPS COUNTY BANK (1931) (Formerly Hotel Edwin Long)
- UPTOWN THEATRE
- TOTEM POLE TRADING POST, INC.
- ZENO’S STEAKHOUSE & MOTEL
MARTIN SPRING, approx. 1 1/2 miles west of Zeno’s.
- Rebuild residence on south side was HILLSIDE TAVERN (late 1920s) with gas pumps and cabins.
- BEAVER CREEK BRIDGE (1922), now considered to be a one-lane bridge.
BETWEEN DOLITTLE & ARLINGTON
- VERNELLE’S MOTEL
- JOHN’S MODERN CABINS (1935), remains of “log cabins”
ARLINGTON, site of original crossing for the Little Piney River on Route 66 & JEROME (Side Trips)
- OLD TOWN BUILDINGS
- STONEYDELL (Side Trip) take Jerome exit and go right about ¼ mile to see the remains of a once great resort located on Route 66.
NEWBURG (Side Trip)
- ONYX MOUNTAIN CAVERNS (On National Register of Historic Places)
HOOKER CUT & HOOKER
- 4-LANE DIVIDED SECTION OF ROUTE 66 completely paved in 1945 was built during WW II to facilitate traffic to Fort Leonatd Wood. This was the first used and last replaced (1981) 4-lane section of Route 66 in Missouri. At one time, this was the deepest rock cut in America. (The old 2-lane was to the north of the new road.)
- ELBOW INN BAR & BBQ (Formerly Munger-Moss Sandwich Shop)
- STEEL THRU TRUSS BRIDGE (1923) over Big Piney River
- Spectacular Bluffs and Scenic Overlook Listed by the State Planning Commission as one of the seven beauty spots in Missouri. Hampton Inn Roadside Attraction Sign.
- SHELDON’S STORE (Formerly Allman’s Market, once Miller’s and old camp grounds)
- ENTRANCE TO FORT LEONARD WOOD (US Military Complex) (Several military- related museums)
- GEORGE M. REED ROADSIDE PARK (1955) (On 4-lane new Route 66)
- DEVILLE MOTOR INN on the south side
- NEON “SPUTNIK” SIGNS from former motel at current Big Louie’s on the south side.
- RANCH MOTEL (1940S)
- ROCK “FROG” on hill just north of City.
- THE OLD STAGECOACH STOP on the east side of the Square (built in pioneer days and formerly Black Hotel and Pulaski House). (On National Register of Historic Places)
- PULASKI COUNTY COURTHOUSE AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY/MUSEUM (1903) on the south side of the Square.
(On National Register of Historic Places)
- FLOWER SHOP (Formerly Tinkle Bar)
- WAYNESVILLE FUNERAL HOME (Formerly Bell Hotel), north side.
- ROUBIDOUX CREEK BRIDGE (1923)
- WITMOR FARMS RESTAURANT (Formerly Nickerson Farms)
- PLEASANT GROVE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (1926) (Serving continuously as a church.)
- PLEASANT GROVE CABINS
- GASCOZARK TRADING POST remains (Formerly Caldwell’s Café & Court), south side.
- GASOZARK CAFÉ remains, north side.
- HAZELGREEN CEMETERY (1840)
- EDEN RESORT remains
- HAZELGREEN METHODIST CHURCH, South side
- STEEL THRU-TRUSS GASCONADE RIVER BRIDGE (1922), west of Hazelgreen
- MUNGER-MOSS MOTEL (1946) and Neon Sign
- FOREST MANOR MOTEL
- SATELLITE LANES
- WRINK’S FOOD MARKET (1950)
- BELL RESTAURANT
- LENZ HoMotel (1932)
- ORCHARD HILLS PACKAGE STORE LLC (In business since 1946)
- NEW ROUTE 66 MUSEUM LOCATED IN LIBRARY (Side Trip)
- Example of BARN ADVERTISING by Meramec Caverns
- Remains of old TOMATO CANNING FACTORY operated by Case Canning Co. of Marshfield, MO (In the 1930′s there were over 300 tomato canning factories in Webster County alone.)
- ABBYLEE COURT (1940), just before junction with County M.
- NIANGUA JUNCTION STATION/GROCERY (1935) (Remodeled 1992)
- OAK VALE PARK (1939–1952) (Formerly Carpenter’s Camp) remains, south side, now a private residence.
- PONY TRUSS BRIDGE (1924) over Niangua River.
- REPLICA OF HUBBLE TELESCOPE on the Courthouse lawn on the Square.
- HISTORIC COURTHOUSE on the Square
- WEBSTER COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM
- A few miles west of Marshfield is a LOVELY ONE-MILE WINDING CLIMB on Route 66 to the Northview turnoff.
BETWEEN MARSHFIELD AND STRAFFORD
- EXOTIC ANIMAL PARADISE (1971)
- TOWN listed in Ripley’s Believe It Or Not as the only town in America with 2 “main” streets and no back alleys. The street to the north of Route 66 was the main road into town until Route 66 was built between the railroad and the backs of the business, which were then extended to meet the new road.
- A-1 TOWING & GARAGE (Formerly McDowell Garage)
- HE AINT HERE TAVERN (Formerly Dutch’s Tavern)
SPRINGFIELD–THE “BIRTHPLACE” OF ROUTE 66 and THE “QUEEN CITY OF THE OZARKS”
- SoMo CENTER/STILES ROOFING was site of Doc’s Place.
- THE TRUCK STORE (Was formerly Bell Motel and originally Otto’s)
- Native Stone buildings and motel were originally VICTORY COURT (1945), then became TED’S MOTOR COURT and last known as RED ROOSTER MOTEL (across from The Truck Store).
- Remains of LURVEY’S COURT (1930) (West of Hwy. 65 overpass at 2900 E Kearney.)
- Remains of HOLIDAY DRIVE-IN
- REST HAVEN MOTEL (1947) 2000 East Kearney and Neon Sign (added 1953).
- SITE OF FIRST “HISTORIC ROUTE 66 SIGN” Installed on 66 (July, 1991) north side of triangle right- of- way at intersection of Kearney and Glenstone. Now sign is relocated approximately 50 ft. east of original location (just west of K-Mart drive) due to improvements of the intersection of Kearney and Glenstone (2004). Note: The curved ORIGINAL SECTION of 2-lane Route 66 located between K-Mart parking lot and the triangle piece of right of way, extending in front of United Missouri Bank.
- North on Glenstone 3 miles to CRYSTAL CAVE (Opened 1893) (Side Trip)
CITY 66-Springfield, turn south on Glenstone at intersection of Kearney and Glenstone
- Site of ROCK VILLAGE COURT (1947) is now American Inn on south west corner of Kearney and Glenstone.
- MAPLE MOTEL& RESTAURANT At 2233 S Glenstone
- SKYLINE MOTEL (1950) Originally called “SKYLINE TOURIST COURT” In The Heart of the Ozarks, 2120 South Glenstone.
- GLENSTONE COTTAGE COURT (1950) Originally called Greystone (4 units had kitchenettes), 2023 South Glenstone.
- O’REILLY ARMY HOSPITAL (WWII) site now EVANGEL UNIVERSITY.
- SOLO (Formerly LILY TULIP CUP PLANT-1952) The “Cup” became a 66 landmark.
- DOGWOOD PARK INN (1939), formerly Silver Saddle, originally Baldridge Motor Court At 815 South Glenstone.
TURN WEST at St. Louis Street
- Rail Haven Motor Court (1938) Southwest corner Glenstone & St. Louis Streets. Now Best Western Route 66 Rail Haven Motel.
CITY 66- -Springfield–Continued
- SPRINGFIELD VETERINARY HOSPITAL at 1213 St. Louis Street continually operated as a veterinary hospital since 1929.
- Steak-N-Shake at St. Louis & National Ave., old style with curb service and old sign. (Hampton Inn Roadside Attraction Sign)
- EARTHGRAIN BREAD BUILDING (1929), 1028 St. Louis Street. (Formerly Colonial Baking Company)
- JORDAN VALLEY PARK , north side (New construction replacing many Route 66 structures) including Hammons Baseball Field, Ice Skating Rink, Expo Center.
- KENTWOOD ARMS HOTEL (1926), 700 St. Louis. Built by John T. Woodruff and site of many National Highway 66 Association meetings. Now Kentwood Hall , is owned by Southwest Missouri State University.
- THE ABOU BEN ADHEM SHRINE MOSQUE (1923) St. Louis Street & Kimbrough (On National Register of Historic Places)
CONTINUE City 66 on St. Louis Street west through middle of JUBILEE PARK into Park Central East and into Park Central(Springfield Public Square). Also site of Jewell Theater, home of the Ozark Jubilee – see monument located in the south area of Jubilee Park. Continue around the north half of the Square and exit west on Park Central West (College Street). College Street will junction with, and end at, Chestnut Expressway. Continue west on Chestnut Expressway.
- WOODRUFF BUILDING (1911) Built by John T. Woodruff at northwest corner St. Louis Street and Jefferson. Note: Plaque on
building honoring John T. Woodruff.
- SITE OF COLONIAL HOTEL is parking lot across the street from the Woodruff Building.
- Gillioz Theatre October 11, 1926-opening night, Park Central East. On National Register of Historic Places.
- Park Central (Springfield Public Square) site of two HISTORICAL MARKERS (located in the street pavement) indicating where James “Wild Bill” Hickok shot and killed Dave Tutt in a duel over a gambling debt in 1865.
- PLAQUE in retaining wall on west side of Park Central (Springfield Public Square) placed by the Route 66 Association of Missouri in 1992 COMMEMORATING SPRINGFIELD AS THE OFFICIAL BIRTHPLACE OF ROUTE 66 ON THE “66TH” ANNIVERSARY OF ROUTE 66 1926–1992.
EXIT Park Central on Park Central West and continue on College Street merging with Chestnut Expressway heading out of town.
- OLD CALABOOSE (1892) (On National Register of Historic Places)
- MOSAIC ON RETAINING WALL, south side, created as a school class project.
- GEORGE & JOANN’S ANTIQUE FLEA MARKET (2 miles) at College and Kansas Expressway site of Hawkins Mill.
- E’S (1930) (Formerly old Rainbow Garden Court).
- CHRISTIAN FOUNDATION (Formerly Sky Ranch Drive-In)
- COLLEGE STREET CAFE
- GINNY LEE’S RESTAURANT, MOTEL & PUB (1931), 2204 College Street, originally Rockwood Court
- SHAMMROCK SQUARE MOTEL (1935), 2300 College Street. Now Shammrock Place.
- MELINDA COURT (1947), 2400 College Street. (Formerly Rock Fountain Tourist Court) (On National Register of Historic Places)
BYPASS 66 – Springfield (not marked, continue West on Kearney crossing Glenstone)
- RANCHO COURT (1 of 2 Rancho Courts)
- RANCHO COURT (1938) (Formerly Trail’s End Court with neat “Indian” neon sign. (Top of sign and the Indian, now gone and name changed.) (2 of 2 Rancho Courts)
- HILAND DAIRY (relocated to this location in 1948), 1133 East Kearney.
- ROBBERSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
At Robberson Street–Turn North to DOLING PARK ½ mile (Side Trip)
At Broadway Street–Turn North to DICKERSON ZOO PARK 1 mile (Side Trip)
- FANTASTIC CAVERNS (Side Trip)
CONTINUE west on Kearney to junction of West Bypass (US 160). TURN south and drive to junction of Chestnut Expressway and join City 66 west on Chestnut Expressway which becomes MO 266 after crossing I-44.
- REX SMITH GAS STATION (1932) (Originally a “Flying A” station/café with cabins in back.)
- Under RAILROAD OVERPASS (1935) (soon to be torn down for improvements to road.)
- Bass Pro Shop (Side Trip)
- WILSON’S CREEK NATIONAL BATTLEFIELD (Side Trip) (On National Register of Historic Places)
- DANNY’S SERVICE STATION
- THE WISHING WELL MOTOR INN (1947)
- ALLIS FAMILY RESTAURANT (Formerly Seven Gables Restaurant and Truck Stop)
CONTINUE OVER I-44 past Deerlake Golf Course.
- HOMER’S BODY SHOP is part of Andy’s Modern Rock Cottages
- BARNES GENERAL STORE (1934)
- STONE BUILDINGS across from Barnes General Store were The O’Dell Gas Station and Cafe
- YEAKLEY CHAPEL (1852), southwest corner at junction of Farm Road 65.
PLANO at junction of Farm Road 45
- Rock Residence on south side was a grocery store/Tydol gas station.
- 2-Story remains on north side were a casket factory/mortuary and later a furniture store.
- WHITEHALL MERCANTILE (ANTIQUES), (1900). north side. (Built as a grocery with fraternal and community functions upstairs.)
- OLD LAS VEGAS HOTEL AND BARBER SHOP, (1930), south side.
- OLD HAMILTON BROWN SHOE CO. (1903) (Now vacant)
- RICHARD’S ANTIQUES (Now vacant), north side, (Formerly a livery and meat packing business.)
BEGIN A VERY SCENIC SECTION OF MISSOURI ROUTE 66
- BRIDGE OVER BILLIES CREEK (1923)
- REMAINS OF OLD ROUTE 66 GAS STATION, south side.
- COBBLESTONE GARAGE AND STATION,(1926), north side. (Now used as a private garage.)
- GAY PARITA STORE, (1930), south side, with café, station and three cabins (now vacant).
- SLAB STONE GARAGE, (1944), south side, (now vacant).
- BRIDGE OVER TURNBACK CREEK (1923)
CONTINUE at stop sign ,south across MO 96 on County Road N (Old 66);turn right (west) at first road Farm Road 2062 (Original stretch/surface of Old 66)
- STEEL THRU-TRUSS BRIDGE (1926) over Johnson Creek.
- SLAB ROCK BUILDINGS(1920′s) were Spencer’s Store and Post Office (On site of the old Johnson’s Mill-1868)
- CAMP LOOKOUT foundation ruins up the hill past a house on south side
CROSS over MO 96 and continue west on “outer road” (old 66) for 2 miles, joining MO 96
- From this point to Carthage, there are many remains of gas stations, stores and garages along the roadside
- D. L. MORRIS GARAGE building, (1936), south side, built on site of old Heaton Post Office (1872-1881).
- ROADSIDE TABLE at junction of MO 39.
PHELPS, RESCUE, PLEW
- Many neat building remains
LOG CITY, South side – STONE CITY. North side (Both camps tried to undersell each other with rivalry lasting years)
- LOG CITY CAMP (1935), south side, including gas station, store, café and several cabins all built of logs.
- FOREST PARK CAMP (1928), north side, including rock cabins, café, tavern and dancehall.
- CITY PARK
- OLD POST OFFICE (1915)
- APPROX. 8 MILES FROM AVILLA – Just east of Kellogg Lake/Park, before entering Carthage ORIGINAL ROUTE 66 crossed to the south by Victory Baptist Church and then immediately turn to the right on what is now called Old 66 (follow the power poles) 1 mile, at the “Y”, turn left onto Easterly Drive. Follow the road along Spring River into the park. Turn right and then back onto MO 96 , west. .New 66 (MO 96) went straight past Kellogg Park.
- RED ROCK APARTMENTS, (1927), north side, (Formerly White Court)
- KELLOGG LAKE PARK, north side, – BLUE STAR MEMORIAL HIGHWAY MARKER located in Park near exit placed by the Federated Garden Clubs of MO in cooperation with the Carthage Floral Study Club and Garden Club and MO State Highway Dept.
- BEST BUDGET INN, south Side. (Formerly Lake Shore Motel)
- KEL-LAKE MOTEL, north side (vacant)
- SPRING RIVER BRIDGE (1923)
- BALUSTRADE BRIDGE (1934) over Frisco tracks.
AT END OF BRIDGE, stay to the right on Central to junction with Garrison, turn left on Garrison. At Braum’s turn right on Oak Street. Follow Oak past the Carthage Municipal Park and Golf Course, then turn left through Brooklyn Heights.
- CARTHAGE SQUARE & JASPER COUNTY COURTHOUSE (1889), (Both on National Register of Historical Places) (Side Trip)
- CIVIL WAR BATTLE SITE AND CIVIL WAR MUSEUM (Side Trips)
- PRECIOUS MOMENTS INSPIRATION PARK (Side Trip)
- DAZY APARTMENTS & SLEEPING ROOMS, just north on Garrison at junction of Garrison and Central.
- BOOTS COURT (1939), Garrison and Central, (now Boots Apartments).
- Old BOOTS DRIVE-IN AND GIFT SHOP (now an insurance office) across the street from Boots Court.
- C D’s PANCAKE HUT, west side
- G & E TIRE CO. with DeSoto-Plymouth Sign, south west corner of Oak (Route 66) and McGregor, (now vacant).
- POWERS MUSEUM, North side across from Carthage Municipal Park
- CARTHAGE MUNICIPAL PARK AND GOLF COURSE (1937).
- 66 DRIVE IN THEATER (1946) (Restored and Operating)
CROSS U S 71 to the north, continue to the stop sign and turn left on Leggett Road (Old 66).
- A new bridge now replaces the CENTER CREEK BRIDGE (1926) (Double-Arch)
- LAKESIDE PARK (1935), (Formerly on west bank of Center Creek and site of Lakeside Tourist Camp.)
AT STOP SIGN BY CARTERVILLE CEMETERY, turn left on Pine to Main Street (stop sign), turn right.
- TROLLEY AND PARK
- MANY OLD BUILDINGS and ROUTE 66 SHIELDS painted on street
- GRANDMA D’S ROUTE 66 CAFÉ
CARTERVILLE TO WEBB CITY
- Many old abandoned mines and piles of slag from lead and zinc mines
FOLLOW MAIN STREET AROUND “S” CURVE and enter Webb City on Broadway. Continue on Broadway to Webb, left on Webb ½ block to Broadway. Turn right to junction of Jefferson Ave.
- WEBB CITY MILLING COMPANY
- PRAYING HANDS MONUMENT/PARK (Side Trip)
- “KNEELING MINER” MONUMENT at the entrance to KING JACK PARK (Side Trip)
- McDonald’s (410 Madison) is the site of old Ozark Motel.
- Two story building on left at Florida and Mathews was originally ROYAL HEIGHTS APARTMENTS (c. 1930), then Joplin Little Theater
- DALES OLD ROUTE 66 BARBER SHOP, left side of Utica at Euclid, was the Shamrock Inn, Gas Station/Café (c. 1930)
- BOB MILLER’S RESTAURANT site on left at 419 Main.
- WEST 7TH STREET APARTMENTS (Formerly Little King’s Hotel Court)
- CITY 66-JOPLIN–Left on Jefferson, right on MacArthur Blvd 1 block, left on Madison. South on Madison (Madison turns into Range Line) to Zora,, right on Zora, left on Florida to Utica. Angle left onto Euclid to stop sign, left on St. Louis, right on Broadway (in Joplin). Left onto Main Street MO 43) to 7th. Turn right on 7th.
BYPASS 66-JOPLIN–At junction Broadway (in Webb City) and Jefferson, continue straight on Broadway. Left on Madison Ave to MacArthur Blvd. (MO 171). Straight on Madison (Madison turns into Range Line ) to 7th Street. West on 7th Street.
- TWIN OAKS COURT site on left (Ben Franklin Crafts parking lot) at Range Line and 4th Street (401 S Range Line)
- ELMS MOTEL site on right at Range Line and 7th Street (628 S Range Line).
- KORONADO HOTEL KOURTS site on right (1717 West 7th Street).
- LITTLE KING’S HOTEL COURT (1930′S) site on right (Now West 7th Street Apartments at 2207 West 7th Street).
- CASTLE KORT (1940) site on right (at 2403 West 7th Street) and lounge.
Next door is site of DIXIE LEE’S DINE & DANCE BAR (1930)
- SCHIFFERDECKER PARK on the right at 7th (old Route 66) and Schifferdecker includes Joplin Museum Complex and golf course, pool, playground, tennis and basketball courts, and picnic facilities.
CONTINUE WEST ON MO 66 FOR 2 MILES TO “OLD ROUTE 66 NEXT RIGHT” SIGN TURN RIGHT, CONTINUE TO KANSAS STATE LINE
- SHADY REST MOTEL remains on left and GILLEAD’S BARBEQUE (c.1925) remains also on left.
- PADDOC LIQUORS on right site of Gray & Archer Filling Station (c. 1925) (7839 West Old 66).
- STATE LINE BAR on right (c. 1925) (7889 West Old 66) originally a restaurant/honky-tonk, was the first business to greet those from Kansas when it was a “dry” state.
- OLD 66 MISSOURI/KANSAS STATE LINE
ROUTE 66 POINTS OF INTEREST, ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI
“Traveling East to West Across Missouri”
Revised December 2004 By: Kip Welborn
There are 3 major alignments through St. Louis:
- The original alignment, which came first across the McKinley Bridge and then the Municipal Bridge)
- The “City Route” which came across the Chain of Rocks Bridge, through downtown and then down Gravois and Watson Road
- The Route 66 Bypass, which came across the Chain of Rocks Bridge and then followed Lindbergh Blvd. around St. Louis to the intersection with Watson Road in South St. Louis County
PLACES TO LOOK OUT FOR ALONG THE ORIGINAL ALIGNMENT
Note: the original “alignment(s)” of Route 66 was changed several times between 1926 and 1932; the places to look out for noted here are on the following alignments:
The Salisbury Alignment:
- McKinley Bridge to Salisbury; left on Salisbury to Natural Bridge; right on Natural Bridge to Vandeveter; left on Vandeventer to Delmar; right on Delmar to Sarah; left on Sarah to Lindell; right on Lindell to Boyle; left on Boyle to Clayton Ave. right on Clayton Ave to Forest Park cross U.S. 40 on Hampton and turn right at the second stoplight onto Clayton; right on Clayton to McCausland; left on McCausland to Manchester; Right on Manchester West to Gray Summit.
The Choteau Alignment:
- Municipal Bridge to 7th; left on 7th to Choteau; right on Choteau to Manchester; Left on Manchester to Boyle; Right on Boyle to Clayton; Left on Clayton to Forest Park; cross U.S. 40 on Hampton and turn right at the second stoplight onto Clayton; Clayton to McCausland; Left on McCausland to Manchester; Right on Manchester West to Gray Summit.
- Regarding Clayton Ave in Forest Park: Clayton Avenue is cut off by US 40, so it ends in Forest Park at a traffic Circle. Follow the Traffic Circle to the right. Turn right on the second road off the circle (Wells). Take Wells to Hampton Ave. Turn Right on Hampton, cross US 40, and turn right at the second traffic light (Clayton Ave.).
NOTE: There are lots of things to look out for in St.Louis other than what is listed here. For more information on what is listed here and what is not, contact the City of St. Louis convention and visitors bureau at 1-800-916-0092 or visit their website at www.explorestlouis.com.
Salisbury alignment: Route 66 (in various forms) from 1926-1936
- McKinley Bridge: (1910) first bridge utilized by Route 66 across the Mississippi. It is currently closed for much needed renovations.
- Hyde Park Ghost Sign: Across the Street (22nd St.), a tribute to one of St. Louis’ “other” breweries, which was brewed just down Salisbury (Route 66). The Brewery itself, alas, is no longer there.
- St. Louis Turnerverien: 22nd and Salisbury-to the left just off Route 66. The Turner Society was an organization that utilized dancing as a means of therapy and socialization.
- Water Towers on Grand Ave just South of McKinley Bridge: These water towers are found on Grand Ave. a few blocks off Route 66… one is in the shape of a Corinthian column, the other is brick. There are three of these in St. Louis, and are among the few remaining in the Country (take Salisbury to Natural Bridge; go left on Natural Bridge to Grand; then back North on Grand. One tower is in the middle of Grand; the other is on 19th St. just off Grand.
- Beaumont High School: Natural Bridge and Vandeventer: One of St. Louis oldest high schools (on the right side of Natural Bridge (Route 66)
- Fairgrounds Park: Natural Bridge and Vandeventer. Site of the “St. Louis Fair” of 1902, later purchased by the City for use as a Park; the largest park in North St. Louis, and has been the site of many a soccer match over the years.
- Forest Park: The largest municipal park in the United States, Route 66 used to go through the Park on Clayton Avenue. Home to the Municipal Opera, the St. Louis Zoo, the Missouri Historical Society Museum, the St. Louis Art Museum, and a host of other things to see and do.
- Dogtown: One of St. Louis’ many interesting neighborhoods, through which Clayton Av (Route 66) Passes. Two of St. Louis’ venerable watering holes (Seamous McDaniels and Pats Bar and Grill) are located a block or so off Route 66 going West.
- BIG AMOCO sign: At the intersection of Clayton and McCausland, look to your right to see one of the biggest (and one of the few) AMOCO signs you will ever see! At last word, despite AMOCO’s procurement by BP, the sign will remain as is.
Choteau Alignment: Was Route 66 from 1929-1935
- Municipal Bridge: Built in 1917 as alternate Route across Mississippi. Renamed McArthur Bridge after World War II. Carried traffic until 1981. Unfortunately closed to traffic in 1981, and now is essentially a parking lot (the lower level is still used as a railroad).
- Eat Rite Diner: 7th and Choteau – a Route 66 and St. Louis institution, especially for the 24 hour a day crowd, where you can “eat rite or not at all”. This was a Hampton Inn restoration project and is a Hampton Inn Roadside Attraction.
- Viaduct at Choteau and Manchester: Just before you get to the intersection where Choteau turns into Manchester, you cross over part of a series of bridges that form the viaduct where US 66, US 40 and US 50 used to intersect. Was, at the time, one of the largest such viaducts in the United States.
- Downtown Maplewood: The first suburb you enter after leaving the City of St. Louis on Manchester (Route 66) is Maplewood, which is a picturesque little town with interesting shops and restaurants. Maplewood has done a lot to rejuvenate itself in recent years, so it is worth a stop!
- Carl’s Drive In: On Manchester just W. of Hanley in Brentwood: Famous for its Root Beer and its “Friendly ambience” (it is a small place so be prepared to stand) Carl’s has been an institution on Route 66 since the 1920′s. Excellent drive inn food.
- Staebell Hotel: Manchester, MO: Manchester is a major thoroughfare through St. Louis and as such, once you get past Carl’s, there is not much in the way of places to look for anymore. However, in Manchester, on the left side of Route 66 going West, is this old hotel that predates Route 66. It was scheduled for demolition, but preservationists managed to convince the City Fathers to save it.
- Big Chief Dakota Inn: On the left side of Route 66 (17352 Manchester Road in Pond, west St. Louis County, Missouri): Opened in 1929 by William Pierce of the Pierce-Pennant Oil Company, the original incarnation included a hotel and gas station. While the hotel and gas station faded into memory, the restaurant was reincarnated in the 1990′s and became a “choice” place for the “meat lover in you”. Unfortunately, you will have to wait for another incarnation, as the place is once again closed.
- Pond Inn Tavern: Commenced operations in the 1940′s. Now the Pond Inn, was at one time a somewhat renowned restaurant in the St. Louis area. When open, Reservations were definitely required.
- Scenic Drive from Fox Creek Road intersection to Gray Summit on old highway 100 (old Manchester Road) Old Manchester Road veers off highway 100 just east of the Franklin County line enroute to Gray Summit.
PLACES TO LOOK OUT FOR ON THE ROUTE 66 BYPASS (Was Route 66 from 1936-1955)
- Chain of Rocks Bridge: Built in 1929, one of the most famous bridges anywhere. Noted for the “bend” in the middle of the bridge; contains an outdoor exhibit dedicated to Route 66 and is a great place to view the Mississippi River, the Water Intake Houses in the river that serve the City of St. Louis. Open for foot and bicycle traffic across the river to Illinois daily due to the efforts of Trailnet, which has put together several bike and hiking trails throughout the St. Louis area. Call 314-416-9930 for information.
- Airport Inn: If you are not looking for it you will miss it, but this little motel on Route 66 just where you head South on Lindbergh is still available for a nights stay. Call 731-9424 for more information.
- Congress Motel: Alas, this place, located just South of Northwest Plaza on the right side of 66 going South probably doesn’t merit a 5 star rating anymore, but the sign is still there, a remembrance of one of the motel chains that evolved on Route 66 over the years.
- Ivy Motel: Just off Lindbergh on Old Olive St. Rd; to the left of Route 66 going west.
- Viaduct at intersection of 66 and US 40: One of the oldest viaducts in the country.
- Downtown Kirkwood: Like Maplewood, Kirkwood has a nice little downtown area full of restaurants and specialty shops. Also located here is the Missouri Pacific Station.
- Spencers Grill (in Downtown Kirkwood look for the awesome sign on the right side of Route 66): Spencers has been serving road food since the 1940′s. It has recently reopened under new management. The sign that has been there since 1948 remains, a nice photo op after an excellent plate lunch!
- Viking Hotel (Holiday Inn): at intersection of Lindbergh and Watson, a longtime rest stop on Route 66. Call 314-821-6600. Also the home of Generations Night Club, which showcases local talent and blues and rock acts from across the country.
PLACES TO LOOK OUT FOR ON CITY ROUTE 66: Was Route 66 from 1936-1975.
- Chain of Rocks Bridge: See above
- Calvary/Bellfontaine Cemeteries: Route 66 turns right off Broadway and on to calvary, which it follows to West Florissant. While on Calvary, you will pass between two of the largest, oldest and most architecturally ornate cemeteries in St. Louis, the Calvary and Bellfontaine Cemeteries.
- Jefferson Hilton (now Jefferson Arms): Built in the early 1900′s, was once one of the finest Hotels in St. Louis. Now a retirement/assisted living center.
- Civil Courts: Corner of Tucker (route 66) and Market. Seat of government for the 22nd Judicial Circuit. St. Louis is one of the few City/County combinations in the United States.
- City Hall: On the right side of Route 66 going west on Tucker, it is the seat of government for the City of St. Louis. It was modeled after the Hotel De Ville (City Hall) in Paris.
- Intersection of Tucker and Lafayette: To visit two of the most interesting neighborhoods in St. Louis:
- Turn left on Lafayette, and, a few blocks down you will be in Soulard, a neighborhood chock full of excellent restaurants and bars featuring great blues bands. You will also pass right by Soulard Farmers Market, one of the oldest and most extensive farmer’s markets in any City in the United States.
- Turn right on Lafayette: and, just past the intersection with I-44 you will be in the Lafayette Square Neighborhood, which contains many renovated houses, and excellent food and drink establishments
For more information on Soulard and Lafayette Square, contact the St. Louis Tourism Bureau.
- Tucker turns into Gravois as 66 passes the Soulard neighborhood (on left)
- St. Michaels Eastern Orthodox Church: A fantastic architectural specimen on right just past the intersection of Gravois (Route 66) and Russell.
- Hodak’s restaurant – On the left side of Route 66 heading west. Finest fried chicken in St Louis; you’ll get a plate full of chicken and a plate for your bones!
- St. Francis DeSales Catholic Church On the right side of Route 66 going West. One of the grandest Catholic Churches in the St. Louis area.
- Southside National Bank: At the SW corner of Grand and Gravois (Route 66). Once the Bank of St. Louis, more recently gaining notoriety as one of the few survivors of the influx of Walgreen’s in the St. Louis area.
- Bevo Mill: At the intersection of Gravois and Chippewa, Route 66 turns right and follows Chippewa underneath the Missouri Pacific Viaduct. If you are interested in seeing one of the great roadside attractions anywhere in the United States, stay on Gravois for 9 blocks or so and encounter, in the middle of St. Louis, a Dutch Windmill known as the Bevo Mill. The Anheuser Busch Brewery built it during the prohibition era, serving low and non-alcohol AB products. Now it is an excellent restaurant specializing in German cuisine. Call 314-481-4626 for information.
- Keller Drug: Past the intersection with Kingshighway going west on Chippewa (Route 66), this old drug store sports some excellent art deco signage.
- Hampton Village Shopping Center: At the intersection of Chippewa (Route 66) and Hampton, to the right you will see one of the oldest shopping centers west of the Mississippi.
- International House of Pancakes: Just west of the Hampton Village Shopping Center, on the right side of Route 66 going west, is an old style I-Hop. Get there early on weekends, as it is a real hot spot for the breakfast crowd!
- Donut Drive In: At the intersection of Chippewa and Watson Road, Route 66 continues West on Chippewa. On the right side of Route 66 going west, at the intersection of Hampton and Chippewa, you can treat yourself to some fine donuts and an excellent photo op at this venerable Route 66 establishment.
- Garavelli’s: On the left side of Route 66 going west, past the Donut Drive Inn, you will find a haven for the comfort food lover in you. Garavelli’s was once one of the great mom and pop chains in the St. Louis area; now this is the one remaining. Notorious for its free pie offerings, cafeteria style eating, and great food! It was originally the Shangri-La.
- Ted Drewe’s Frozen Custard: On the left side of Chippewa (Route 66) going west just past Garavellis. It is one of the great Route 66 landmarks and a haven for the sweet tooth. Famous for its concretes which comes in all flavors and sizes. Don’t let the big crowds out in front deter you. There are several people working the serving dishes, and you will have your custard elixir in no time. Pick a nice parking spot, get your custard, take it back to your car, and join most of St. Louis in your enjoyment of a beautiful day with some wonderful sweet-ness. A Hampton Inn Roadside Attraction.
- At the City Limit of St. Louis, Chippewa turns into Watson Road.
- Frisco Railroad Tressel: Just down the hill from the intersection of Watson (Route 66) and McKenzie is this memoriam to the Old Frisco Railroad: “Ship it on the Frisco”.
- Marlborough: The “Village of Marlborough” is the St. Louis areas great enigma on Route 66. On the one hand, most of the cool motel and restaurant signage that you will find on Route 66 in the St. Louis area will be found here. Unfortunately, the Village of Marlborough doesn’t appreciate what they have, and many of the old motels have been blighted and may soon be demolished. Get your cameras out and get your pics now… they may not be here later.
- Site of Coral Court Motel: Just inside Marlborough, on the right side of Route 66 going west, is a subdivision that was once the Coral Court Motel. There are remnants of the frontage of the Motel, and a few of the old oak trees remain. The Motel has been memorialized in excellent fashion by Shellee Graham in her Book “Return to the Coral Court” and the film “Built for Speed: The Coral Court Documentary”. Check these sources out to revisit the prime example of Route 66 architecture.
- Sunset Lanes: On the right side of Route 66 going west, right next to the Coral Courts, is this excellent bowling alley and eatery, which boasts its connection with Route 66. Stop in and have a snack or bowl a frame, let them know you are traveling Route 66 and that you appreciate their homage to the Mother Road!
- Wayside Inn: On the left side of Route 66, across Watson from the site of the Coral Court, this place once had an excellent sign. While the sign is gone, the architecture remains.
- Duplex and Chippewa Motels: On the left side of Route 66 going west, just past the site of the Coral Court. While I cannot recommend the accommodations, I can recommend the signs as an excellent photo op.
- Georges 66 Bar and Grill: On the Right side of Route 66 going West, just west of the Duplex. An excellent bar and grill with a boatload of 66 memorabilia inside and a chance to sing, “Get your Kicks on Route 66″ on Karaoke night!
- La Casa Grande Motel: On the left side of Route 66 going west, just west of the intersection of Watson Rd (Route 66) and Laclede Station Rd. “Like a Fine Hotel” this most excellent example of Southwestern/Route 66 style architecture remains, at least for now. Better stop and get your photo op while you have the chance!
- Site of the 66 Park Inn Theatre: Across the street from Crestwood Mall, on a lot that now supports such Route 66 “institutions” as Best Buy and Schnucks, was the site of one of the great Drive-In movie theatres, the 66 Park-In. (NOTE: The clock can still be found in the Market In The Loop in the University City Loop, 6655 Delmar.
- Crestwood Lanes: On the left side of Route 66 going West is another great bowling alley with an excellent neon sign.
- Intersection with Lindbergh (Bypass 66) The marker for the original viaduct can be found at Route 66 State Park.
- Intersection with Interstate 44: Just west of the intersection with Geyer Road, Route 66 joins Interstate 44. Follow Interstate 44 to Exit 266 and on into the Show Me State!